Wednesday, September 7, 2011

reality setting in.

It's now been two full weeks since I arrived in Hungary, and so much has happened in those weeks that it feels like I've been here for much longer.  I've become familiar with my flat (although I don't think I'll ever determine a cause or pattern for the disappearance of an internet connection that happens now and then), I've been to the immigration office to apply for my visa and residence permit, I've met all of my students and begun the process of learning 265 names and faces, I've been to the Spar (the grocery store near our flat) twice now by myself, my walk to school everyday is becoming more and more routine and natural, I've purchased a bus ticket, a tram ticket, and a train ticket and made it through each transportation experience with minimal mishappenings, I've learned some Hungarian phrases to say as well as some not to say, I've made friends with an English-speaking barista who calls himself Peter Parker (aka: Spiderman) and pampers Abby and I when we visit his cafe, I've been to a Hungarian worship service, I've seen the castle, Lillafured, the look-out tower, the Bukk Mountains, and many other historical buildings and landmarks, and I've encountered and overcome feelings of discomfort, lonliness, discouragement, and insecurity that inevitably creep in after the shock and excitement of being in a new and amzingly beautiful place wear off.  And through all of these adventures (even the small daily tasks are an adventure when you're in a new culture), God has made His presence known in the most clear, direct, and personal ways I've ever experienced.  Everyday He teaches me more about myself, my relationships, His character, and how He speaks to me and answers my prayers.  Through my everyday pursuit of finding His will and purpose for my life and ministry, He teaches me to rely on Him more and trust in His ability to use me in all circumstances and provide for my every need.. even the needs that I am unaware of.  Through trials He has been teaching me how to have a steadfast and genuine faith and how to pray with a heart that is alligned with His own, and He has given me a more eternal perspective of my life and the lives of those I love.  All of these lessons are answers to prayer, and it has made me realize how powerful prayer really is, and that God really does answer our cries to Him.. and I have never been more aware of the instances that God is working to meet the needs of His children.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." -Romans 12:12

A few notes to make mention of...
There are really only 3 words you need to know of a language, aside from greetings and goodbye's, to be able to blend into the culture: "excuse me," "I'm sorry," and "thank you."  It's funny how I've noticed how often I actually use them each day.  If you can learn to communicate these phrases, you can get through most everday interactions unnoticed as a foreigner.

Grocery shopping for the first time in a foreign country is one of the most intimidating, defeating experiences you'll ever have.  Not only ar you unsure of whether or not you're following the culture norms and grocery shopping etiquette, but you also have no idea if and when people are telling you you're doing something wrong.  I felt like an 11 year old on my frist day of middle school after my first grocery run.  Some Hungarian shopping expectations...
1.) Always take a basket or cart.. or they'll think you're trying to steal something.
2.) Produce items may need to be weighed and given a sticker in the produce section before you get to the check-out line.  They'll just guess if you don't have one.
3.) When a new lane opens up it's a mad dash to see who can get there first.. no one cares if you've been standing in line with your 1 or 2 items for ten minutes and hold a place in line that is way ahead of where they just sprinted from, with their overflowing shopping cart, to make sure they beat you to the check out.
4.) You always bag your own groceries, and once you've gotten your change they start sending the next person's food down the belt, basically forcing you to gather what you haven't yet gotten a chance to pack away into your arms and try to pack it neatly into your bag on the way out.
5.) If you think the door opens out, it opens in.. if you think it opens in, it opens out.

Walking into church on Sunday was unlike anything I've ever experienced.  I can't even describe the feelings that overwhellmed me when I walked through the doors of the room in the church (the Miskolc Christian Church rents out a room in a church to hold their Sunday evening service), to the Hungarian worship team singing "You are my all in all" in their native tongue.  There were only about 30 people in the congregation, and it was amazing to feel the Lord's presence in a place where I was unable to understand the words being spoken, yet could feel that they were filled with a love for the same God that I love and serve.

My first few weeks in Hungary have been stretching my faith, testing my patience, and exercising my flexibility, but Miskolc is slowly beginning to feel like home.. which is a weird feeling having been here for a mere two weeks.  God has been revealing to me new things about how He will use me to minister in this place, and I'm excited for Him to continue teaching me how to love, showing me how he will use me to serve, and how He will continue to use my new home to minister to me as well.

2 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you, girl!! And I LOVE #5...that's pretty much a universal truth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! What an adventure you are on. You are consistently in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete